- Extends the consumer life of salmon by 60%.
- Edible coating in liquid format easy to spray application.
- Barrier against oxygen, water and microorganisms.
- Preserves quality, color, flavor, aroma, texture and pH.
- Natural ingredients GRAS (FDA).
- Change from frozen to fresh format (higher profit margins)
- Low cost
- Replaces the use of chemicals to extend the consumption life
Consumers prefer fresh fish over frozen ones. However, this occurs far from where they are consumed, so that the consumption life is depleted during transport and marketing, the latter goes hand in hand with the increasing consumption of Chilean salmon in the world. In 2018 alone, Chile exported US $ 4.728 million of salmon products and 100 thousand tons per year are exported to the US. In parallel, new markets are opened that seek to meet the demand for fresh salmon in countries such as Russia and China, which are limited by the problem of product preservation.
With this opportunity in mind FishExtend has developed, edible liquid coating and natural ingredients, extending the consumer life of fresh salmon from 16 to 26 days.
- In 2018, Chile exported US $ 4.728 million of salmon products (13.6% more than 2017)
- More than 100,000 tons of fresh salmon are exported annually from Chile to the US.
- National salmon exports doubled in the last 10 years, so a considerable market opportunity is detected.
The product is in a prototype state. The next step is validation and packaging to begin product marketing.
Experts in Biopolymers, Chemical Engineering, Safety, Food and Business Engineering
- Wendy Franco
Food engineer, PhD in Food Microbiology.
- Yaniel Cardero